1. General Background
The contractor will be engaged by UNHCR’s Private Sector Partnerships (PSP) in Singapore.
The Private Partnerships and Philanthropy (PPH) Officer will play a key role in increasing Private Sector fundraising income in the country, in particular from Private Partnerships and Philanthropy sources i.e.: corporations, foundations and High Net-Worth Individuals.
To carry this out, the contractor will work under the supervision of the Asia Regional team in the identification, cultivation, and stewardship of PPH prospects and donors. S/he will report directly to the Senior PSP Officer (Asia & Pacific). Under his functional supervision, the contractor will manage all
fundraising activities related to Private Partnerships & Philanthropy in Singapore, to generate additional income from major donors, philanthropists, foundations, and corporations in support of UNHCR’s activities worldwide.
In addition, to support digital fundraising activities in Singapore, the PPH Officer will work closely with the digital team in Bangkok (and Copenhagen if needed). S/he will bring market knowledge and connections, while the Bangkok team will help and support with marketing and technical experience.
The PPH Officer will be part of the PSP regional team and is expected to work closely with the PPH staff in Bangkok (and in Copenhagen when needed).
The position is initially available until 31 December 2024 with a possibility to extend it on yearly basis depending on performance and budget availability.
This is a recruitment for a local home-based position for Singaporean citizens and Singapore Permanent Residence.
Non-Singapore nationals who wish to apply must have a valid residence and work permit in Singapore. Without the valid residence and work permit, the application will not be considered.
It is important to state this clearly in your application.
2. Purpose and Scope of Assignment
• In close coordination with the PSP Asia Regional team, the contractor will develop & implement the PPH strategy for UNHCR in Singapore.
• Identify and analyze private philanthropy trends in Singapore and the region and provide regular updates on the developments that are relevant to the delivery and success of UNHCR’s own strategic plan.
• Explore and identify potential and innovative sources of funding and partnerships from individuals, foundations, and corporations.
• Identify & Implement activities that help to grow the donor base in Singapore – this will include the participation and delivery of presentations and relevant information to increase brand awareness, attendance at networking events; and memberships into relevant groups/ entities that provide access to new prospective donors.
• Forge beneficial and long-lasting partnerships and relationships with new and existing donors, that include sustainable stewardship strategies and activities.
• Increase awareness and relevance for UNHCR’s work in Singapore amongst target audiences, for example by developing and executing a sustainable communications plan that keeps donors and other contacts updated of UNHCR’s progress of work and other relevant information.
• Forge relationships with relevant networks in Singapore instrumental to UNHCR’s fundraising efforts in the APAC region.
• Collaborate closely with other colleagues in the Asia Pacific region on donors and prospects with regional presence, including in Hong Kong, China, and Malaysia.
3. Monitoring and Progress Controls
• Meeting income targets set for the local market and increasing the network of supporters and donors.
• Develop and assume responsibility for the implementation of a comprehensive fundraising strategy to increase income from Private Sector prospects in Singapore, under the guidance of the Regional PSP Officer (Asia & Pacific).
• Manage potential private sector fundraising donors and accounts, ensuring the highest level of donor care and continued commitment to UNHCR.
• Support global and regional partnerships.
• Develop current and explore additional sources of funds from other sources to increase level of funding.
4. Qualifications and Experience
• Completion of an advanced university degree (MA/BA) in Business Administration, Social Sciences, Political Science, or other related discipline.
b. Work Experience
• Minimum 6 years of professional experience for bachelor degree and 5 years of professional experience for master degree in international private sector fundraising experience in a not-forprofit organization or an international organization.
• Excellent knowledge of the Singaporean fundraising environment and good knowledge of fundraising trends and environment in Asia.
• Relevant fundraising and partnership experience, working with (ultra) high-net-worth individuals, corporates and foundations raising min. USD 300,000 annually.
• Experience with developing and implementing plans and budgets.
• Experience managing a team.
• Proven ability to meet fundraising targets and negotiate and secure corporate and foundation partnerships.
• Proven track record with building and maintaining long term Private Partnerships and Philanthropy.
• Proven experience in managing high level meetings in combination with excellent presentation and communication skill.
• Proven ability in understanding how to reconcile the needs of the organization with those of the external stakeholders.
• Proven ability to write, draft, and edit letters, proposals, appeals, reports, acknowledgements, briefings, and donor correspondence when appropriate and ability to explain complex issues to external donors and present the organization and diverse operations in an appealing and concise manner.
• Working experience with an INGO in the humanitarian field is an asset.
c. Key Competencies
• Proven ability to deal with multiple tasks in a courteous and service-oriented manner in a demanding working condition that often functions on short-term deadlines.
• Experience in Fundraising and Marketing.
• Demonstrated ability in grant and proposal writing, reporting and communication materials at appropriate levels for varied partnership development.
• Demonstrated ability in being entrepreneurial and being able to flourish in startup-like conditions
• Excellent communication skills (spoken and written) in English.
• Demonstrated a can-do mentality, flexibility, and ability to think out of the box.
• Excellent computer skills with Word and Excel.
• Excellent analytical and conceptual skills, and strong communication and presentation skills (both verbal and written).
• A flexible and outgoing team player with service-oriented attitudes.
• A good communicator with strong interpersonal skills to deal with persons of different cultural and educational backgrounds.
Standard Job Description
This position doesn’t require a functional clearance
How to apply
For a full job description and to apply, interested candidates are requested to visit
The UNHCR workforce consists of many diverse nationalities, cultures, languages and opinions. UNHCR seeks to sustain and strengthen this diversity to ensure equal opportunities as well as an inclusive working environment for its entire workforce. Applications are encouraged from all qualified candidates without distinction on grounds of race, colour, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation and gender identity.
Please note that UNHCR does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, meeting, travelling, processing, training or any other fees).
Closing date of receipt of applications: 11 February 2024 (midnight Geneva time)