Action Against Hunger leads the global movement to end hunger. We innovate solutions, advocate for change, and reach 28 million people every year with proven hunger prevention and treatment programs. As a nonprofit that works across 55 countries, our 8,990 dedicated staff members partner with communities to address the root causes of hunger, including climate change, conflict, inequity, and emergencies. We strive to create a world free from hunger, for everyone, for good.
Action Against Hunger USA is part of the Action Against Hunger International network. As an independent NGO, Action Against Hunger USA currently manages operations in 8 countries: Kenya, South Sudan, Somalia, Tanzania, Uganda, Ethiopia, Zambia and Haiti. Action Against Hunger-USA has over $100 million in programs, and approximately 1,800 permanent staff based in New York City, Washington D.C, Nairobi, and country offices. Additional growth is anticipated.
- Job Summary
As a key member of the U.S. External Relations Department, the Donor Development Officer spearheads our midlevel program (donors giving $500-$9,999). The Donor Development Officer is charged with growing the midlevel program as well as retaining a loyal donor base through excellent stewardship. The Donor Development Officer will sit on the Donor Marketing Team and work closely with the Communications, Digital, Major Gifts and Fundraising Systems teams. The candidate will also work with program and global staff to demonstrate the impact of global giving.
The Donor Development Officer:
- Purpose: Provides expertise ensuring the growth of Action Against Hunger’s midlevel program as well as building a loyal donor base through excellent stewardship.
- Engagement: Works internally ensuring a seamless donor journey for midlevel supporters, and specifically with the digital team acquiring and retaining midlevel supporters. Externally, with current and potential donors.
- Delivery: Delivers campaigns and stewardship activities which sets AAH-USA up for significant growth in the midlevel program.
- Essential Job Duties
(Define main functions/roles and then define the specific/key job duties in each of them).
- Works with email marketing and direct mail colleagues to acquire, welcome, cultivate and retain mid-level supporters giving between $500 and $9,999.99.
- Creates a mid-level portfolio and cultivates one-to-one relationships with mid-level supporters who have both higher giving capacity and an interest in engagement.
- Upgrades mid-level supporters as well as those giving under the mid-level threshold.
- Works closely with Major Gifts team on stewarding a pipeline of loyal supporters for our major gifts program.
- Works with Communications and Program teams on the creation of collateral for fundraising and stewardship purposes.
- Supports the roll out of cultivation events, stewardship webinars as well as Donor Appreciation Week.
- Meets specific goals for one-to-one and one-to-many interactions including calls, webinar invitations, impact pieces, Donor Appreciation Week outreach, SMS/emails, Holiday cards etc.
- Other duties as requested.
III. Supervisory Responsibilities – n/a
IV. Fiscal Responsibility – n/a
V. Physical Demands
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to sit for long periods and to concentrate on work, including typing, and turn out heavy volumes of work accurately, within short time frames under stressful situations in the context of a moderately noisy office with interruptions.
- To travel to the field, the employee must attest to a level of physical fitness capable of enduring physically difficult, highly stressful situations which may include the necessity to walk long distances, to eat a limited diet and/or to reside in potentially uncomfortable housing or tents.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
VI. Working Conditions, Travel and Environment
- The duties of the job require regular job attendance at least five days per week. Must be available to work outside normal office hours or on the weekends as required by contact with the missions, mission security, or other obligations.
- Must be able to travel as required for standard domestic and international business travel as well as to the missions if appropriate. While visiting the field, the employee may be exposed to precarious settings under high security risks and/or very basic living conditions and outside weather conditions, as well as to infectious diseases.
VII. Gender Equality Commitments & Zero Tolerance to Abuse
- Foster an environment that reinforces values of people of all genders equal access to information.
- Provide a work environment where people of all genders must be evaluated and promoted based on their skills and performance.
- Promote a safe, secure, and respectful environment for all stakeholders, particularly for children, beneficiaries, and members of staff.
- Help to prevent any type of abuse including workplace harassment and sexual abuse and exploitation.
- Respect beneficiaries’ women, men, children (boys and girls) regardless of gender, sex orientation, disability, religion, race, color, ancestry, national origin, age, or marital status.
- Value and respect all cultures.
IX. Required Skills & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent.
- Between 3-5 year’s work experience, preferably within a fundraising team
- Experience in a digitally forward non-profit fundraising environment.
- Proven experience working with midlevel supporters.
- Sales and negotiating experience i.e., has experience asking supporters to upgrade and reactivate their giving.
- Expertise in Raiser’s Edge, Funraise, MailChimp, Salesforce or other similar CRM platforms.
- Excellent donor care experience and enjoys interacting with donors in person and on the phone.
- Experience working for an international aid organization would be a plus.
- Highly driven and entrepreneurial.
- Excellent interpersonal and negotiation skills.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Can establish priorities, manage multiple deadlines simultaneously and work well under pressure.
- Strong attention to detail and organizational skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Is familiar with Word and Outlook mail merges.
How to apply
Please apply on our website here: https://careers.actionagainsthunger.org/index.php/positions/view/672/