Duties & Responsibilities
The National Programme Officer (NPO) based in Damascus supports the Swiss Humanitarian Office by ensuring the project cycle management of projects assigned to him/her by his/her superior. He/she is a member of the Syria team under the overall guidance of the Regional Head of Cooperation based in Amman. He/she contributes to the overall Syria program and manages a number of projects and partnerships as part of the Swiss Cooperation Programme Middle East with a focus on Protection and Education & Income, and/or WASH.
The list of tasks includes the following:
Project Cycle Management:
- Manage humanitarian projects under the Swiss Cooperation Programme Middle East 2019 -2024.
- In line with institutional guidelines and procedures, ensure the full project cycle management of the projects funded by Switzerland in Syria in all the operational and financial aspects, from planning and identification, to monitoring of implementation and evaluation.
- Prepare appraisal documents and internal funding applications, ensure timely submission to his/her superior, and manage project contracts until the end of the project cycle.
- * Work with the Finance Department on issues related to budgets and other financial matters to ensure financial accountability of the projects assigned to him/her.
- * Monitor the projects’ implementation by maintaining systematic communications and field visits with project partners on the operational contexts and the challenges they encounter.
- Provide timely data inputs related to projects assigned to him/her into the Swiss monitoring and reporting systems, ensuring coherence of the data inputs across the overall Syria portfolio.
- Organize and participate to monitoring missions for projects and programs in Syria.
Portfolio planning, strategic steering, and reporting:
- Contribute to the overall operational, administrative and financial planning, monitoring and steering of the country portfolio.
- Prepare policy and strategy positions, speaking notes, programmatic documentation and context analysis. Manage thematic and project reporting, ensure the timely preparation and compilation of relevant documents.
- Plan, coordinate and manage delegations and field visits, events and meetings.
- Organize and participate to scoping missions to assess new partners and identify new areas of intervention in Syria.
- Based on instructions by his/her superior, identify possible partnerships in consultation with the relevant thematic advisers.
Relationship management, coordination and policy dialogue:
- Develop and maintain a network with national authorities, national and international partners, relevant experts, decision-makers and other involved stakeholders.
- Represent the Swiss Humanitarian Office Syria in meetings and coordination platforms in line with defined objectives and priorities and in coordination with the Head of Humanitarian Office.
- Attend operational meetings related to the Syria humanitarian response and represent Switzerland as directed by the Head of Humanitarian Office.
- Actively participate in the exchanges of the Swiss Regional Syria Team on the Whole-of-Syria context, and contribute to defining the orientation of the Swiss Syria portfolio in this context.
- Provide inputs to internal and external reporting, analysis and communications on the humanitarian context and SDC’s program for Syria.
Profile & Requirements
- Advanced university degree (Master) in Social Science or equivalent.
- At least 5 years of practical experience in international cooperation and/or humanitarian aid (international organizations, NGO), of which at least 3 years of field experience in the Education/WASH/Protection sectors with background in Early Recovery.
- Extensive relevant experience in project and program management (PCM from identification, monitoring, finalization), including financial management and project administration.
- Extensive experience in field work and implementation of projects.
- Familiar with international standards and requirements relating to development cooperation and humanitarian aid.
- Extensive knowledge of the challenges in sectors relevant for the Swiss engagement (Education/WASH/Protection).
- Active network in sectors relevant for the Swiss engagement (public, private and international organisations), including with governmental and ministerial representatives.
- Extensive experience in writing reports, briefings and preparatory work in establishing positions and strategies.
- Extensive knowledge and experience with local and international actors.
- Excellent command of written and spoken English and Arabic. Other languages (French or German) is an advantage.
- Good knowledge of the political, economic and social situations of Syria and the region.
- Willingness to take responsibility, ability to work in an autonomous, proactive and results oriented way.
- Able to work under pressure in a changing context, adaptability to change.
- Strong analytical skills, ability to set priorities in a complex operational framework.
- Ability to reflect strategically and to translate into operations.
- High motivation and commitment to work for a governmental agency.
- Self-awareness, high ethical and professional standards, cultural sensitivity and team player.
- High interpersonal skills.
- Computer skills (MS Office, internet research).
- Diverse, creative and stimulating work environment
- Further training opportunities
- Competitive salary and social benefits
How to apply
Place of work: Damascus, Swiss Humanitarian Office in Syria
Beginning / Duration: 01.03.2024 or upon agreement, one-year renewable local contract
Please submit your application (CV & motivation letter) in English language via:
Muna Abdel Jaber, HR Manager (email@example.com)